9.25.2007

Dreams...

The past few days I've been doing a lot of thinking. Mostly about life..past, present..and future. My whole life, as far back as I can remember I've wanted to be a photographer. There's just something about being able to capture moments that excited me. As I got older, I knew..I just KNEW being a photographer was what I wanted to do with my life.

Long before that though..I had another dream. One that is coming true every day of my life. The dream of being a mother. Everyday day I'm greeted with the chance to capture the simple moments of life within my own children. One of those, being the moments I get to see what their dreams are.

My son is all boy. Completely ALL boy in every sense of the word. His dreams? Football. He wants to be a football player. When he was 2 years old, everything we did was football. Now that he's 3..his dreams are still football, but they also include: soccer, baseball, basketball, golf and wanting to be Darth Vader. (Did I mention he was all boy??)


My daughter has always had this desire to learn. She loves reading and writing. In fact, before she even started school, we'd go to the library and she'd want to pick out books...encyclopedia type books, and read everything in them. When she could write, she'd write little reports and read them to us at dinner time. Her dream? To be a scientist. She wants to study volcanoes and fossils. Once she started school, I would catch her coming home at the end of her day, sitting on the front steps with pen and paper, writing quickly about...anything and everything.

It's moments like these..when I can see my kids and their dreams..that make it all worth it. As a parent, you want to do everything you can to make sure their dreams come true. It's such a magical thing to watch them grow into the person they want to be..and the person they should be. Magical.

So, starting from my childhood dream of becoming a photographer, to my kids' dreams of becoming athletes and scientists..all I can say is "Follow your dreams''. And never, ever, waiver from what you want to be in life...

Until next time..