I got an email not too long ago that had a list of things that made people happy. Simple things. As I was reading through that list, I realized how many of those things really did make me happy for different reasons. I thought it would be cool to blog about some of those things from time to time. First, the list:
NATURAL HIGHS IN LIFE
1. Falling in love.
2. Laughing so hard your face hurts.
3. A hot shower.
4. No lines at the supermarket.
5. A special glance.
6. Getting mail.
7. Taking a drive on a pretty road.
8. Hearing your favourite song on the radio.
9. Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.
10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.
11. Chocolate milkshake (vanilla or strawberry).
12. A bubble bath.
14. A good conversation.
15. The beach
16. Finding a 20 dollar bill in your coat from last winter.
17. Laughing at yourself.
18. Looking into their eyes and knowing they love you
19. Midnight phone calls that last for hours.
20. Running through sprinklers.
21. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.
22. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful.
23. Laughing at an inside joke
25. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.
26. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep.
27. Your first kiss (either the very first or with a new partner).
28. Making new friends or spending time with old ones.
29 Playing with a new puppy.
30. Having someone play with your hair.
31. Sweet dreams.
32. Hot chocolate.
33. Road trips with friends.
34. Swinging on swings.
35. Making eye contact with a cute stranger.
36. Making chocolate chip cookies.
37. Having your friends send you homemade cookies.
38 Holding hands with someone you care about.
39. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change.
40. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you.
41. Watching the sunrise.
42. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.
43 Knowing that somebody misses you.
44. Getting a hug from someone you care about deeply.
45.Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think
The one I'm blogging about is #5.
The story behind the photo:
When my girl was very little, she'd always ham it up for the camera. As she got older..she started shying away from it, or maybe just being annoyed of me constantly pointing the camera in her face. Needless to say, there's not as many photos of her as I'd like. One day we were out location scouting and we found this field of extremely tall grass. She quickly ran to it, plopped down in the middle of it, and we started talking about the crush in her life...Harry Potter. (anyone else out there with a daughter that is completely head over heels for this guy??) And that's when it happened. The special look. It was that look on her face that reminded me of exactly who she is when she doesn't know I'm truly looking at her through a lens. She's beautiful. Happy. Full of life and color. She's so much more then I could ever dream of having in my life..and there she sat, fiddling with a blade of grass, giving me the special look I hadn't seen in a long while. Funny what happens when you take the time to watch your children instead of always trying to get the perfect moment or shot. Right before my eyes..the 'perfect moment' appeared, and she didn't even know it. That's one of my life highs. Special glances from my kids.
What are some of your natural highs? I'd love to hear about them and why they are so important to you.
More to come from the list above..
Until next time...